Saturday, September 18, 2010

... So, uh. Maybe I was overestimating my immunity to green-eyed Asian skaters.

Things that have happened!

Went to go talk to Mr. Liu in order to get my student ID card, but apparently China University of Geosciences is working under some sort of new system, and none of the international scholarship students have been designated IDs.  This causes problems in two areas (according to Liu):  having our food stipends transferred to the accounts we arranged with the Agricultural Bank of China, and being able to register for the internet in our dorm.

... Not so much worried about the food, but CHRIST not having the internet in The Cell is a ballsy situation.  Trying to do editing work in Lush or The Bridge Cafe while drunken students debauch and shark about to their hearts' content is - I mean - well, actually, it's quite hilarious, and I'm loving every minute of it :)  But!  It's undeniably very expensive, and a girl can only drink so much coffee before floating away. 

No updates on the international dorm situation, other than the due date for it is September 30th;  Mr. Liu said that the Russian doctoral student might end up not-living-with-me-after-all, but I'm not sure if that's going to be the case.  My placement exam for Mandarin is Monday morning at 9:30am, so that hasn't changed.  Can't wait to start classes.  Not having a definite schedule during the day is grating on my nerves, even though the geosciences lectures I've attended were interesting.

Ended up not going to the The Creators Project, as tickets were expensive and hard to come by (once I tracked down the confirmation email address, all places had been reserved).  That's really upsetting, but I'm going to try to get all the films shown at the festival through devious means (aka, piracy or street vendors). 

Regarding the title of this article:  there are many things I need to learn to outgrow.  THAT (see above), boys-with-long-hair, boys-with-hipster-glasses, boys-who-play-instruments, boys-who-wear-flannel, boys-with-accents, boys-who-read, boys-who-speak-intelligently, boys-in-general.  From now on, I shall be considered asexual.  Gorey was asexual, right?  The illustrator?  I mean, he was a pretty gloomy guy, probably due to the lack of company...

... Whatever, we all know that wouldn't last.

Other things:  going to get a tattoo of the chemical structure of dopamine while in China, probably today. (Been contemplating getting a tat for my 21st birthday for a while now, and knew it would be some sort of chemical structure, but assumed caffeine.  Dopamine feels more representative of my life at the moment, though.)

I'll keep you posted.

<3s and stars,
Paige

4 comments:

  1. As cool as getting a tattoo in China is, make sure you go to a repudiated tattoo parlour, because a lot of them are unsanitary and you don't want to come back with some form of bad bad disease.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No AIDs for Pajjes! Got it. Using clean, sterilized needles + new, plastic gloves is a must. Maybe I should arrive to said parlor with both? Would that be disrespectful? :-\

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://tattoo.about.com/cs/beginners/a/blchecklist.htm
    hope it comes out well. happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete