Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Sleep don't visit, so I choke on sun

Things that have happened!

Survived the international hospital in Beijing, and obtained an acceptable physical + form!  "Survived" is a harsh descriptor, though;  in all honesty, the most difficult portion of the entire experience was making it to the clinic.  Walked a quarter mile from the university to the bus stop;  took the #438 bus 18 stops (which seemed endless); was squished for a while - and yelled at in Mandarin by the ticket taker when I stood up to stare at the map (yes, that was hilarious as it sounds); and then walked about a quarter mile to the clinic (not visible from the road, but I was able to find a few people kind enough to point me in the right direction, once they were shown the Hanzi characters).

After arriving at the hospital before most of the doctors (7:00am), I waited outside with the neighborhod's flea-infested MascotKitty and read my book ("China's Megatrends" by the Naisbitts).  Ten minutes later, an older Chinese couple arrived and waited outside with me.  The doors opened at 7:30;  I filled out an appointment form, waited in line at the "Register" booth at 7:45, was transferred to the "Payment" booth at 8:35, and had my physical completed before 9:00am.  The line was astronomically long by that time, though;  I counted around fifty people waiting for their tests as I walked out the door.

An ECG, chest x-ray, and getting blood drawn in less than thirty minutes?  Only in China, my friends.  Only in China.  Just wait for the day when you can go to Wal-Mart to buy $5,000 Chinese-made automobiles.

I met some REALLY interesting people while waiting in line - the older Chinese couple was actually Chinese-American (just arrived from Maryland), and could speak fluent Mandarin and accented English, but had American passports.  Another couple who had flown in from California arrived shortly after the Chinese-American couple - the man was born in Brazil, and is planning on teaching English at the Chinese University of Telecommuncations;  his wife was from Paraguay.  Chas left me one of his business cards, and I'm supposed to go get breakfast with them at some point in Wudaukou.

Went back to the university, ate breakfast - and afterward went to the Old Summer Palace (which was ULTIMATELY cool, here are some pictures....  China's history is fascinating, especially over the past couple hundred years.  The country's xenophobic tendencies are understandable, if you learn about the "Hundred Years of National Humiliation".  Additionally?  Beijing has a wonderful Indian restaurant that I actually like more than Shiva in Houston.

There are so many things I want to do, and seemingly never enough time to do it.  I love this feeling, the "supercharged" one;  being in one place/situation for too long often leads to stagnation for me, or being bored, and I don't anticipate that happening any time soon in Beijing. :) 

Other things:
  • Check out the sign for the hospital - I'm an alien!
  • Stay tuned for a review on the Naisbitt book.  China's economic history - and its history, in general - are both fascinating subjects.  Innovative thought is a bit lacking in the younger generation, but in terms of a hive mind and mass productivity, the PRC can't be beat.
  • This dormitory really takes their 11:00pm lockdown time *very* seriously.  When I attempted to leave the building this morning at 6:00, we were still under VirginityProtectionMode;  every single door on the ground floor was U-bolted.  Such a fire hazard, not to mention annoying :-\
  • No more sequin-bikini gig :(
  • The room situation is getting even more unbearable by the day.  I'll be relieved to get internet, but even more relieved to get my own bedroom and a somewhat private bathroom situation - not to mention a kitchen.  Walking to Wudaukou to get food + a connection is getting old.
  • I've met some really, really epic people here :)
  • Liu emailed me some lectures at CUGB that will be delivered in English;  I think I'll go to the planetary science ones, and email the professors prior to the event to find out if they need any help navigating around Beijing / escaping the Great Firewall.  I can't do much, but I can at least do a little.
  • Had my first bottle of Tsingtao! 

<3.

No comments:

Post a Comment